Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Screen cleaning - compression driver

  1. #1
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Screen cleaning - compression driver

    OK, so I'm refurbishing a pair of 802s that so far has included drilling out a busted 1/4" mounting stud, tapping all threads, replacing missing binding posts, cleaning VC gap, re-painting the covers black, etc. Later I will have the motors recharged and I will
    install new frams.

    Anyway, I've noticed the screens seem to have some crud on them. Obviously, these are located deep in the driver near the phase plug and they are difficult to access.

    I need some ideas on the best way to clean these. So far, this is what I'm thinking:

    1. Soaking some cotton in acetone and pushing it down the driver throat and letting the solvent act on the screnn for several minutes.

    2. Remove the cotton and blow out the crud using compressed air from the phase plug side, in effect forcing any loose crud out the throat.

    Is this a good idea or is there a better method to clean the screens?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Screen cleaning - compression driver

    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I need some ideas on the best way to clean these. So far, this is what I'm thinking:

    1. Soaking some cotton in acetone and pushing it down the driver throat and letting the solvent act on the screnn for several minutes.

    2. Remove the cotton and blow out the crud using compressed air from the phase plug side, in effect forcing any loose crud out the throat.
    I've never done this, and haven't even taken my drivers apart, since they are in pretty good shape. Having said that, I'd try #2 before #1. I have no idea if the acetone would hurt the screen or glue..... assuming it's glued in.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Screen cleaning - compression driver

    Remember, if you open the driver up, it must be recharged, it will lose it all when opened. Most screens just sit in there and the throat holds them in, many people removed them but that leaves slack in the throat, I've put a drop of super glue on those throats and pushed them all the way in to prevent any chance of resonance. I just use compressed air from the diaphragm side to clean them, an acid brish lightly pressed against the screen will break up some crud, Dave.

    13

    14
    Altec A7's (Lansing 515-8LF,802-8G,511B) & (GPA 515-8LF, Eminence PXB2:800, BMS 4552ND, 511B), homebrew Model 18's (604-8H) with Elite 80+ Tube Amps and BBE DS26 bi-amp crossover.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.